7.1.13

first view of yufuin. light on the water. light & shadow. nine brown. koi. omikuji. bahaha you adorable things. christmas. mini. aiko, jody & ayaka. evening. 夜空 dinner. snowfall! ayaka how do you cute. look up. soup. the perfect kitchen. christmas village. 92340009 pretty girl. mixed salad, chinese spiced pork & sticky rice; potato soup; white wine. apple & cinnamon french toast. potter's wheel. girl got skills. pottery. 愛子 jody. あやか green train. camera. train window. chocolate cake! it has pudding in the middle, i'm not even kidding.


Happy 2013!

I’ve been quiet here for a while, I know – voice changing, priorities changing – but I come now with overdue film and finally some free time. This was my December, part of it; we went to Yufuin and pretty much ate everything they had. We left famine in our wake. We razed the fields bare. We rolled out of town – literally rolled – like chocolate roll cakes from expensive bakeries, with a seam of rich chocolate pudding in the centre. I now look much like a chocolate roll cake. You can imagine my dismay.

(Sometimes I suspect that the quality most important to me in a friend is the ability to eat. If someone can’t get excited about fresh figs or Italian hazelnut honey or pink rose petal jam with me, I’m just not sure we’re gonna have much to talk about.)

I’ve travelled around Japan quite a lot in the last couple of months, and one thing I’ve realized is that it’s time for me to leave Nagasaki. Which is not to say that I don’t love Nagasaki – but my restlessness is creeping up again, and although giving up a well-paid job – that I’m good at; with a great flat; with a settled life – kiiind of seems like a stupid thing to do… sometimes I have to remind myself that I’m twenty-two, and I don’t know that I actually want a settled life. Not now, anyway, possibly not ever. Maybe I want to live in a shoebox in the big city, channeling Holly Golightly with my ginger cat, finding the most ridiculous and unlikely jobs I can and, you know… doing stupid things. My contract here doesn’t end until the summer, but after that, there’s gonna be something new.

I hope the year brings you something new too.

3 comments

  1. Amazing photos. The first image is out of a dream! Follow your heart, it's taken you to some amazing places and there is so much more to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo that's exciting! Totally agree though, who wants to be settled at 22? (Or, you know, 23 as I now am. Fuckkkkkkkkkkkk) Do you reckon you'll stay in Japan then, or head somewhere new?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I still have a year left on my Japanese visa, so I'm thinking of moving up to Tokyo once my contract ends in July, and looking for work there. BUT I also have ~*big exciting plans*~ right now which may call for me to go elsewhere, so I think I won't know for sure for a couple months more...

      Delete

© papillon.Maira Gall